One year, after spending five months travelling the back-roads of Mexico avoiding, as much as possible, the gringo dominated areas, Norma and I were heading back home. We were always in a hurry at this point because as usual, we had pushed the time we were allowed to be out of Canada and had only a couple of weeks to get home.
We were in a toll booth / rest area / snack bar stop on the quota road and I was stretching my legs a little. I walked past an ambulance parked at the curb with the driver/paramedic leaning on his hood eating an ice cream bar. As I passed he said something to me. My brain automatically went into translate mode as I struggled to understand what he had said. I caught a couple of words but they did not seem to connect together or make any sense. I stopped and looked at him, asking him to repeat it which he did. Now I was in a bit of a panic! I did not understand him. Suddenly I realized what I was hearing! He was speaking English!! He was asking me how we enjoyed Mexico and how long had we been there. We had a long conversation with hin wanting to know everything. Where had we been, how long, were we going to come back, everything. He asked how safe we felt and I gave him the answer we always gave... we feel much safer in Mexico than we do in the US and always have. He was a very interesting guy, studying to become a doctor and was taking the chance to practice his English. I had been away from English for so long that it sounded like a foreigh language!
Lovely memory!
ReplyDeleteGood anecdote Croft, except for the part about safety in the US which is sadly true. I also have good memories about winters in the Southwest and especially one involving an electrical pedestal that caught on fire. (insert smiley face).
ReplyDeleteDidn't that bring some excitement into our day! They mentioned at the time that they would reimburse me for ant damages so a couple of weeks later I bought a new 30 amp plug and wired it in, emailed them a copy of the receipt and they immediately sent me payment! It ended well for me but probably cost them a few hundred dollars for a new pedestal!
Delete