Friday, December 26, 2008

Next Stop - Chiapas

I had a chance to sit down with Sergio, the park resident who is a Professor of Anthropology and History specializing in the Pre-Columbian History of Mexico and it’s Indigenous People! What a connection for me! We poured over my maps together and he made many suggestions of places that we should not miss in the States of Chiapas and Yucatan. I now have a very long list and as his interests are also my interests, I want to see them all! My map is covered with notes. We leave for Puebla and then Chiapas early in January.

This has made us start wondering if the time we have left in Mexico this year will be enough to see Chiapas as well as the Yucatan. We never have any fixed plans when we travel and just make it up as we go. This means we could stay in Chiapas for a lot longer to see everything and ‘do” the Yucatan next year. It is nice to have options!

Chiapas is the poorest State of Mexico and facilities for RVers may be quite primitive. The term “Full Hookups” may just be wishful thinking. We will find a spot to park the motorhome and will then use the car to make day and overnight trips to see the sights.

My lack of good Spanish will be less important in Chiapas as they speak little of it there. The main languages are Maya based Aboriginal dialects. This will be fun!

Map image

4 comments:

  1. That's it!

    El ano promixo, me voy contigo a Mexico!

    I'm really enjoying your posts about Mexican culture. Your enthusiasm is contagious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Croft,

    Try to get a copy of John L. Stephen's book: "Incidents of Travel in Central America, Chiapas, and Yucatan". It was first published in 1840 and puts the Mayan culture in perspective from the view of one of the first gringos to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a coincidence! One of the websites I was looking at today referenced that book as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rae, just how many languages do you speak?

    Rae, cuántas lenguas habla usted?

    Rae, combien de langues parlez-vous?

    ReplyDelete