When we made the decision to travel for six months out of the year we went into it with our eyes open. We knew that much of the time we would be away from communication and in places where it would not be easy to leave the motorhome to run home if anything happened. We had also heard all the doom and gloom stories and warnings against traveling SOB (south of the border).
We considered everything and after talking with our son decided that the benefits of the adventure outweighed the somewhat remote chances of being caught out of touch if something happens. Also, there is some level of danger anywhere in the world these days, even at home. We were not going to let any fear of the unknown prevent us from seeing the world. As I say, we went into it with our eyes open.
A couple of days ago this decision was put to the test for me. The Internet was not working at the RV Park and we had not talked to anyone for a few days. When the Internet was repaired my Skype phone rang and it was my niece, Robin, telling me that my brother had just died in Edmonton. It was quite sudden but there were a couple of days warning. If I had known, would we have recognized the warning and made the decision to fly to Edmonton? If we had, would we have made it there in time? I don’t know. I do know that my brother had a great life which he lived to the full. I also know that he would not have wanted any huge muss and fuss. He would have wanted us to remember our good times with him and to carry on. That is what we will do.
In June, the family will get together in Alberta to celebrate his life. And, like it or not, hear my Mexico stories.
Gord and me. I’m the cute one on his knee.
His first bike. Yes it’s a girls – he had to share with our sister.
Gord, Willow and me with two of their granddaughters.