Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Doctor says "Go"!

I made my semi annual visit to my doctor yesterday and got the "OK" to head out. He had all my lab results and everything was within safe levels. I had some kidney problems almost twenty years ago and have had regular annual tests since then. I asked about it and he said, "You have the kidneys of a twenty year old"! They take a reading of kidney function and want to see anything over a "70" figure. Mine was 125. This represents  healthy, well functioning kidneys.

Our house sitter is moving in over the next few days and Norma and her friend are going to give the motorhome a scrubbing. I have to clean out the fresh water storage tank and add a little bleach to it. I will flush out the holding tanks with a little bleach as well. I have not had a chance to connect the dolly to the motorhome to check out the wiring after the fender repairs in the summer but I have confidence in my wiring ability. The dolly is parked in front of the motorhome so it means rearranging everything to connect the dolly for this final test.

The tires are good, the coach batteries are new this year and the engine battery is new last year. I will polish the solar panel, fill the gas and propane and everything should be good! We will get an oil change on the way through the USA and buy extra oil and a filter to get it changed again in Mexico if needed.

My feet are getting itchy! Many of our RVing friends are already on their way so I am getting that left behind feeling. One couple had problems crossing the border but they are much younger than us and the USA Customs questioned their ability to support themselves over the winter. After 90 minutes of questioning the finally convinced them of their ability to pay their own way without illegally working in the US. We have never had a problem crossing the borders, any of them in either direction. I guess we look old enough to have a pension or to have saved some money. "D-Day" (departure) is in ten days or so. Life is good!

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Jan, We will have an adventure (or two) with you and Whit.

      Delete
  2. Isn't it great when a plan comes together? Looking forward to your travelogue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will do our best to keep you entertained back on the farm, Bill!

      Delete
  3. I'm jealous, still no D Day! Interesting to read about the couple and border and money issues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news about your medical report and especially good to have the kidneys of a 20 year old! Sounds like you are all prepared to head out.

    You reminded me that I need to make an appointment for my annual medical sometime before the end of October. I'm going to pay special attention to my kidney readings!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That stamp of approval is always good to get!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. We have always had positive experiences in Mexico Robert. We are also careful and observant of our situation and location. We seem to have a second sense of when it is prudent to pull over and wait things out, be it traffic, weather or "just that feeling". This is something you cannot do in a caravan setting like you experienced. Slow and easy is our game! No schedules, no reservations!

      Delete
  6. Being older does have its advantages, like crossing the border and senior discounts. get on the road soon before the Doc changes his mind.
    Travel safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good news from the doctor. Looking forward to traveling along with you via your blog. Of course, be safe. That may apply more to the U.S. than Mexico!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kudos to your kidneys for staying in such great shape. In fact, after all the vino I swilled this summer, my 42 year old kidneys are a little jealous of your tender, youthful 20 year old kidneys :)

    ReplyDelete