Sunday, September 11, 2016

Memories of 9/11

This is a copy of a post I did several years ago on a September 11.

9-11-01

Everyone remembers where they were and what they were doing on a select few dates. These include the day JFK was killed and the day MLK was executed. 9-11 was one of those days!

On that day I was driving north through central Oregon on my way home after a solo RV trip. Norma had yet to retire so I had headed out on my own for a couple of weeks. I was driving along with the radio on very low to the point where I could hardly hear it. The music had stopped some time before and there was just a steady drone of voices I could not make out. After a while I turned it up and thought it was a discussion of a war movie or something, not a subject I was interested in. I hit the "scan" button but every station I landed on had the same thing on!

I turned it up louder and that was when I began to understand what was going on. The first plane had hit and there was mass confusion. Almost right away the second plane hit! I was in the desert and the first thing I noticed was there was hardly any traffic. Soon a police car raced past me with lights and siren doing well over 100 mph. Then a fighter aircraft screamed past overhead at low altitude following the Interstate. I realized that the Country was being attacked and here I was driving down the highway in a foreign plated motorhome big enough to contain who knows what! It was time to get off the road.

I pulled into Bend, OR and found the nearest RV park. I walked into the office to find the two people glued to the TV. They told me to park anywhere and to come in and register and pay in the morning. I parked, hooked up the cable and watched CNN non stop for the next two days. 

3 comments:

  1. I was at work and had no idea what was happening until Kevin called me and told me that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Centre, shortly after he called me again to tell me a second plane hit. After that we were glued to the radio at work. When I arrived home our son, Alex had the TV on with the videos of everything that was happening, until then I had not seen the planes flying into the towers. Wow, what a moving moment it was to see this happening. Kevin and I had only been up in the towers almost 11 months to the date before, I couldn't believe that this could have happened!

    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at work for the 9-11 and my supervisor called me into his office to watch what was happening on his computer. It was unbelievable at the time but ended up very sad and true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To this day it still blows my mind that both the USA and Canada managed to land over 3500 aircraft in about two hours. At first I thought Shelagh was watching a movie when she rushed into the bathroom with the news...

    ReplyDelete