Monday, October 12, 2020

Helmut Giesbrecht 1943 - 2020

 I just heard tonight that our old friend and political ally Helmut Giesbrecht, former high school math teacher, Terrace, BC Mayor and Skeena, BC NDP MLA passed away on Friday after a long illness. He was one of the good guys and will be missed!

Here is a typical Helmut story! When Helmut was running for mayor of Terrace, BC I wandered into his campaign / Teachers Union office and asked if there was anything I could do. Knowing I was Jim Fulton's (the NDP Member of Parliament) campaign finance guy he quickly handed me a list of about 100 names and phone numbers (most of them teachers), gave me an office and told me to get busy on the phone and get $100 from each of them! I came close!

Helmut was one of the beneficiaries of Norma's "Skeena Machine"! When Norma wanted someone elected, they got elected!  

2 comments:

  1. I got a call a few days ago with more sad news that Helmut's wife, Wendy, passed away last Friday. Their kids and grandkids definitely have a lot to mourn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helmut's wife, Wendy, has passed away just a few weeks after him. RIP Helmut & Wendy.

    ReplyDelete