Thursday, April 14, 2022

Motorhome LED Lighting Upgrade

 

I started converting the nine 12 volt incandescent ceiling light fixtures in the RV to LED. I completed four of them the first day and had to quit. My neck hurt, my arms hurt and my eyes hurt. The 77 year old human body is not designed for working above your head and glasses are certainly not designed for it as the close focus part of the glasses is at the bottom. not the top.
 
Norma always complained about the dim lighting in the motorhome and would compensate by turning all the ceiling lights on, putting a strain on the battery when we were boondocking. She would be very pleased with this LED modification and even if she turned them all on, it would not burn much electricity.
 
Day 2: Motorhome LED Conversion "Sort Of" done.
All nine ceiling lights have been changed out but I found one more under the cupboard and above the counter. The most difficult to work on as it is too low to stand and too high to sit. If I could lay on the counter I could do it easily but I am too big. I will watch TV for a bit and think about it later. As Scarlett O'Hara famously said: "I'll think about that tomorrow. Tomorrow is another day."
 
Anyway, they look good and give off a much nicer light. BTW, they were $86 for two boxes of five from Amazon.

There is a double incandescent fixture over the couch left to do and a 12 volt florescent tube fixture over the sink that used to be the brightest light in the place but is now the dimmest so I will have to replace that as well but the slide has to be out when I do it and I can't do that in it's parking spot beside the hedge.

6 comments:

  1. The LED's will be much less strain on your battery and should give brighter lighting. A good investment for sure. I share your lament about the aged body. Hard to get things done like years back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, so good Bill. The difference is literally like night and day. I should have done it years ago but back they LED fixtures cost a fortune.

      Delete
  2. LEDs are great lights to have and they are nice on the battery draw.
    If you like the way they look inside try replacing the outside security lights with LEDs.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be interesting! I may try that.

      Delete
  3. Turn your glasses upside down, less strain on the neck when looking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works! Why didn't I think of that? Thanks Sondra!

      Delete