Friday, July 12, 2024

Generator Service

Back in October or November the generator quit starting, I did not want to put plates on it to take it in so I just left it for the winter, trying it every month to no avail. It cranked enthusiastically but no start. I finally got it started a week or so ago after a long drive and it ran perfectly. It still needed a service so I took it in to the local White's Diesel & Marine on July10. It had not been serviced since 2012. Yes, I know! I started it before I dropped it off and it chugged, rattled and smoked so I shut it off and tried again, It started and ran perfectly! 

I left it with them and after one and a half hours they had it done. Just a regular service, plug, filter(s), oil change and carb adjustments. I paid the $325 Canadian bill and drove away with a perfectly functioning generator! FYI, the last time I had it serviced was in 2012 in Yuma, Arizona on our way into Mexico. They did the exact same service and charged me $180 US twelve years ago. Almost as much (after conversion) as I paid up here. I am happy! The furnace does not work but that is another story. It has eaten circuit boards for years so I may convert it to a "Buddy" propane heater. If it goes bad, you throw it away and buy another!

4 comments:

  1. You could also look into 'bunk' or 'parking' or 'cheap Chinese diesel' heaters. They are fairly easy to install. They also come in gasoline versions and can be plumbed to the gas tank. The fans run on 12V. No propane.

    I'm enjoying the posts on getting the motor home back up to working order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The above comment on bunk heaters is from shadowmoss. Now I see why my comments don't usually show up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Paula, It is a glitch in Blogger. Sometimes it won't even let me comment or even sign in on my own Blog. Frustrating to say the least! It may only be affecting me.

      Delete
  3. When in Quartzsite we set up to use a Blue Flame heater. Uses way less propane than the furnace and no fan required. They last longer than the Buddy does.
    Be Safe and Enjoy.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete