Saturday, March 15, 2008

Zacatecas Teleferico (Cable Car)

Zacatecas has a Swiss made Teleferico crossing over part of the town ending on the hill where Pancho Villa defeated President Huerta's last loyal troops. It was an exhilarating ride accompanied by a jovial English speaking operator who points out all the important buildings below. Very few "outside" tourists come here so it is mainly a vacation destination for Mexicans. The operator gave his spiel in Spanish and then repeated it in English for Norma and I. We took a taxi to the terminal even though the Lonely Planet Guide says it is an "easy" walk from the Centro. At 8100 feet of altitude NOTHING is "easy"! The several hundred foot walk from the end of the ride (at the 9000 foot summit of Le Bofa) to the Pancho Villa Museum left me sitting on the steps to catch my breath! It really makes you appreciate what Pancho Villa and his men went through to have to climb the hill, fighting all the way! As I sat gasping on the steps I thought, "I need bigger nostrils..."

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment