Thursday, April 3, 2008

I am buying a GPS

When our friend Les caught up with us here in El Paso, he arrived with a GPS and glowing recommendations about how well it worked for him. The three of us went out for dinner and tested the GPS's ability to find our way home after dinner. A female voice warned me of every turn along the way and got us home.

I decided I need one of these toys so I started researching on the Internet and decided on a Garmin 260. It is the lowest of the Garmin line that comes with full North American maps included. It does not include Mexico maps but they may be purchased separately.

The price of these units here in El Paso varies all over the map. Fry's is the lowest at $220 but has no local store and their mail order is a nightmare. Circuit City is the highest at $389 (don't they ever do comparative shopping?). Wal Mart has them in the store for $279 and online for $233. I tried to order one from Walmart.com but found they will not sell to anyone without a USA bank issued credit card and a USA address! I got around this by going to the store, buying a Gift Card for myself and using the Gift Card to order online. I don't know why they do not like to sell to Canadians but my sneaky method worked and it will be delivered to the local store for me to pick up in a week or so. I will never be lost again!

1 comment:

  1. Brother, check out Costco: http://www.costco.ca/Common/Category.aspx?whse=BCCA&Ne=4000000&eCat=BCCA|79|21133&N=4009765&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&cat=21133&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-CA&topnav=

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete