Monday, May 3, 2010

Higher High Speed Internet

I hooked up to "High Speed" ADSL Internet a few years ago and never bothered to check if anything better was available. I was evidently on 1.5 Mbps speed and was quite happy with it. It was a lot faster than writing letters and even faster than the old dial-up I was on before that.

A friend who works for Telus was over the other day to do some repairs and told me that there was something much faster available for almost the same as I was already paying and I should upgrade. I checked into it and he was right. I could upgrade to 6 Mbps for only a couple of dollars more a month, less my employee discount!

The switch was made today and WOW, is it ever fast! We had a bit of trouble "registering" my computers but Leanne from Telus Technical Support spent almost an hour with me on the phone resetting the router and making a bunch of changes and now I am on line at 6 Mbps! I can't even type that fast!

Brenda: The speeds I get from your site are:
Download - 5.22 mbps, Upload - 0.66 mbps and Ping - 129 ms

Earlier this afternoon I got slightly faster speeds, specially on the upload side which was .8 something. This shows traffic has an effect on speed as well.

5 comments:

  1. I can't even imagine how fast that is since the hardwired connection I had at your place was the fastest I'd ever had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you tell me what speed it tells you that you are getting when you go to speedtest.net ?? The reason I am asking is that I am supposed to have Megacables 4 mbps service and when they test it on the megacable site it shows a speed of 3 or better; BUT when I test it on speedtest.net it shows much slower and the upload speed is less than 1. Would be interested in the comparison if you wouldn't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted the results on the Blog Brenda. I think the problem you are seeing is that of distance. The further away the test site is, the slower the speeds are going to be. When I tested mine on a NYC site, I showed speeds in the high 3's.

    Using your site I got

    Download - 5.22 mbps, Upload - 0.66 mbps and Ping - 129 ms

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. The odd thing is that sometimes I get a better speed from here to Edmonton on the test than from here to Tucson, Weird.
    Boy your speed is great.
    Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now who's the kid in the candy store.

    ReplyDelete