Saturday, September 10, 2011

Northern Lights!

There was a retirement party last night for one of the Telus guys. It was fun and everyone ended up back on our patio afterwards. Just before midnight we were treated to a beautiful aurora borealis show that covered the entire northern horizon! I have not seen a show like this since we lived up near the Alaska border. It was an amazing show and I just found out it is the result of a major geomagnetic storm on the sun and the resulting CME's hitting the earth. We can expect more in the next couple of days.

This photo is not mine, it is a stock photo off the Internet.

4 comments:

  1. Seeing the Northern Lights was on my bucket list until I found out that normally you have to be in the far north in the WINTER to see them. That's never going to happen, so I have given it up. Still, in Sept? That would be doable in BC.

    I'm jealous, I'll bet they were incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got them here in Edmonton too, it was quite the sight!!
    First time my son was able to see them, usually they occur in the dead of winter.
    It was nice to walk outside and just watch them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am totally with Jonna on this one. It's hard to even imagine how incredible they must be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky to have seen the Aurora 10 years ago this month in Colorado. Would not be where we could see now chasing the sun ;-)

    ReplyDelete