Monday, November 14, 2011

Crescent Moon

As you will recall, I installed a 120 volt fridge in the overhead area of the motorhome. This is intended to carry non-perishable items like water, juice and in the case of yesterday, a 20 ounce can of Bud and Clamato mix. As I turned a corner in Bakersfield, CA, the child proof door lock on the fridge door failed and everything came tumbling out, most of it hitting me on the right shoulder. The one exception was the 20 ounce can of Bud and Clamato which whacked me right on the bald spot leaving me with a bloody, crescent moon shaped dent in my skull! It was only my head so there was no serious harm done but this morning as I was combing my hair I was reminded of the dent, which has now morphed into a bump.

I also noticed in Bakersfield as we turned off the highway that one lone gas station was trying to pull a fast one. Gas has been $3.65 to $3.89 all through California. This is about 10 or 20 cents per gallon higher that WA and OR but CA has always done it's own thing and is currently trying to pay off a huge debt. Anyway, this lone Chevron gas station was trying to flog gas for $4.79 per gallon! A full dollar a gallon higher that it's neighbors! The surprising thing was, there were cars at the pumps! Perhaps there are Americans (the 1% we hear about) who do not mind paying an extra dollar a gallon when all they have to do to avoid it is drive a block or three up the street but I am not one of them. A dollar a gallon means about $60 a tank for me and I held on until I found gas for $3.69.

Well, now for breakfast at Denny's which in my case will be a $5.29 build your own Grand Slam (poached eggs, hash browns, pancakes and for the fourth item, two extra eggs). That will do me for breakfast and lunch! We will then pay $10 to dump and fill with water and will soon be on the road to Parker, AZ and hopefully some AC repairs on the Mazda. Temperatures hit 80 on the road yesterday but cooled down quite a bit overnight. That is the way it is in the desert. Despite the bump on my head,  Life is Good!

9 comments:

  1. Ouch! Sorry to read about the goose egg.
    *mental note* if I ever install a fridge anywhere over my head in a moving vehicle, best to have some sort of hasp or fool proof latch installed. No Fred Flintstone canned goods on my noggin that way.
    Never could understand that bowling ball stored on the closet shelf routine...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Croft the comments I could Make!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Come and park in SMA much safer cheers Les

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, you are lucky it didn't knock you out.If we had known you were going to be in Parker, we would have met you and Norma for coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why can't we ever escape Mr Murphy's curse........At least it didn't hit anything vital. Glad you're safe and OK.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll bet the bungee cords came out of the storage bins. Ouch! Hope the noggin heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That must have hurt like heck! Hope Norma has kissed it all better by now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm, maybe you need to modify that thing? LOL Glad you weren't seriously injured.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey! You were in my city! Hopefully the gas prices didn't scar you for life! :P $3.65 is the lowest it's been here for a while!

    ReplyDelete