Friday, November 22, 2013

New Algodones Glasses!

We parked in the $5 per day parking lot on the USA side and walked across the border into Algodones, Mexico at about 11:00 AM yesterday. I had my prescription from my Canadian optometrist so the ordering went smoothly at Algodones Optical. They had a sale on so I picked my frames from the higher mid-range selection (they start at free and go up to $200+). The final price was $189 for my first pair and $30 for a second, so my total was $219 for two pair of progressive glasses, the first pair being transition lenses. A very good deal considering the estimate from my Campbell River Optometrist was over $600 for one pair. Viva Mexico!

We had to wait two hours to pick up the glasses so we used the time to walk around Algodones. I got a (seniors, men's) haircut for $3 (plus a $2 tip), we had a lunch of fish and shrimp tacos ($1.75 per large taco) and stopped for coffee in a little mall. Ordering coffee was hilarious. I ordered in Spanish but the young waiter spoke only English, he had no idea what we wanted!

My glasses were ready at 1:00 so we picked them up, got the frames fitted and headed straight for the border. We were early enough that there was no wait so they scanned our passports and we were back in the USA with no questions asked, not even, "What did you buy?".

We got back to the rig and settled in for a quiet afternoon and evening. We were beat from the walking and the previous night's entertaining. I broke out my Fry Daddy outside while Norma cut up some french fries but before I could start cooking, it started to rain. The raindrops landed in the hot oil and splattered so I quickly brought it inside to finish my fries. This morning Norma is complaining about the smell of grease in the kitchen. I can't win.

We had a great lightning and thunder show last night and it rained until early morning. I love the sound of storms and rain on the roof. Norma, not so much. She watched out the window, thinking we were going to wash away over to Mexico.

We are scheduled to leave Yuma on Sunday, heading towards Texas. Stay tuned!

8 comments:

  1. Great info on the glasses, Croft, thanks. I may have to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still have my two pair from a couple years ago that I got at the same place. Love those fish and shrimp tacos.
    Too bad about the rain, I have never used our Fry Daddy inside, just for that reason.
    Mind you I have had to open our awning quickly when the rain started a few times.
    It is handy to use and the oil keeps for months in the fryer with the snap on lid too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got my glasses from Palomas at the border crossing in NM by Pancho Villa State Park - have you guys been there? A very easy border crossing and much quieter than Algodones. We may stop in there this year so that I can get another pair - plus get our teeth checked. Looking forward to your trip to Texas - have you two been to Silver City in NM? Are you stopping in NM or going through.... we are thinking of spending February at the Marathon Motel and RV Park..... We like the area of Fort Davis/Alpine/Marfa and Marathon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have not been to Silver City, we usually cross NM on I-10 but it is not far off the highway. We should check it out. We also like the Marfa/Alpine area. I want to see the Marfa Lights.

      Delete
  4. We leave here on Saturday for a slow drive to Gold Canyon. We booked one week in Canyon Vista to get us through the crazy busy time the US Thanksgiving creates. Due to rains since our arrive in Death Valley, we may well book another couple of days should the weather present better.

    Wishing you a seamless drive on your way to Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This rain is no fun! Enjoy Death Valley, it is a beautiful spot.

      Delete
  5. No rain down south here in Mexico, just lots of heat.

    ReplyDelete