Tuesday, February 25, 2014

What's Up? Not Much!

Quiet times here in Lakeland, Florida. Norma was glued to the TV the last two weeks watching the Olympics so we have not even been out exploring. I went out with Paul a couple of times, once to watch his granddaughter play basketball and once to meet a bunch of his childhood friends from Kentucky who were wintering nearby. I am now an adopted Kentuckian. I think I am also picking up Paul's accent.

I am helping Paul run a second satellite TV cable into the bedroom of his fifth wheel to allow him to use a PVR. That turned into a bigger than expected job that will be finished today. We are dealing with a slideout and tons of stuff under the floor making drilling holes difficult to say the least.

The air conditioning in the Honda has been slowly getting warmer so I took it in to get it recharged. It has been about 18 months since it was done in Parker, AZ. I was informed the law in Florida dictates that the entire system has to be checked before they can add refrigerant so after about a half hour I was given the bad news. Apparently the compressor has a leak and is not repairable (at least in FL). A new compressor is $700 so that put an end to my little project. They did not charge me for the test. I will get a second opinion in another State.

The weather here has been very nice lately. It has gone from cold and rainy to hot and humid almost overnight. Like they say, "If you don't like the weather in Florida, wait a minute!".

We are starting to look at routes home that do not involve heading into snow storms. We will not be trying to break any speed records as we do not have to be home until late April. We have been parked here at Paul and Dodie's for a month! Time flies when you are having fun.

Lazy times but all in all, Life Is Good!

13 comments:

  1. Sounds like a stop in Parker for the A/C might be in your route home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure those guys could figure out a way to make it work!

      Delete
  2. Good luck with the A/C repair a enjoy the route home, we may pass you along the way somewhere. Heading east.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we get close, we should meet. That would be great.

      Delete
  3. I'd be hesitant on a $700 A/C repair bill as well - I just might sweat it out so to speak.

    Drilling holes for cables? What's wrong with passing the cables through an open window? That's my method as if I used a drill on the side of our rig it would end up in big, big trouble for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not my rig ;) No, we took our time to make sure we didn't drill into the power cable or the Black Tank. We didn't go through the side of the rig, just into the utilities bin and then through bins to under the bedroom receiver. Piece of cake with two people. Very difficult with just one.

      Yes, putting a $700 compressor into a $1200 car does not make a lot of sense. I will try a State with more relaxed laws to see if they can just tighten a loose fitting or something. The guy did point out that 25 years with no A/C repairs was a pretty good record and hinted that I shouldn't be so cheap.

      Delete
  4. Someone has to be making good money on those A/C compressors. Even the rebuilt ones cost $$$.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe picking a fairly new one up at a wreckers might be the answer.

      Delete
  5. Lots of snow here on the Island, but should be all gone by the time you make your way over. 3 days of the white fluffy stuff! and most of it stuck. Island had power outages and tons of car accidents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And THAT is why we are down "South". Norma keeps saying she would like a winter at home and I keep reminding her of what you are telling us. ;)

      Delete
  6. Juan says, "bring it to Mexico and they can wrap some dog poop and banana peel around the leak, costs about 35 pesos" :), and don't forget the cost of the Freon at 230 pesos. It may not be the new supposed environmentally friendly kind but it will cool the car.

    ReplyDelete