Saturday, November 1, 2008

New Batteries!

When we got the new motorhome back to Canada I checked the 6 Volt RV batteries and found both of them to be very low on water. In fact, it took a full gallon of distilled water between them to fill! I filled and charged them and they seemed to come back up but I never had any real confidence that they were going to be good enough. I priced new batteries in Canada and found some 195 Amp Hour for $100 and some 220 Amp Hour for $140. I was sure I could do better than that in the USA.

We stopped at a Sam’s Club in Sacramento, CA and found some 220 Amp Hour batteries on sale for $71. We immediately joined Sam’s Club and bought two of them. As I was putting them into the cart I noticed a sign stating “Free Installation”. I asked the service guy and he said, no problem, he would be happy to install these 100 pound batteries for me. One hour later we were on our way with the batteries happily charging.

We boondocked that night and it was very noticeable how much better the batteries performed. We used the lights, Norma watched TV and I watched a DVD and when we went to bed the batteries were still sitting at 12.6 volts, where the old ones would have been down to 12 or 12.1 after the same usage. A big difference and I will sleep much easier in Mexico where batteries are much more expensive, if you could find 6 volt batteries at all. Strange because 99% of all North American batteries are made in Mexico...

While we were in Sam's Club waiting for the batteries, we bought two huge lobster tails for under $20! These are going to be delicious with butter and garlic and proves once again that Life Is Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment