Friday, October 4, 2013

An Olympic Team To Cheer For and a Heart Warming Story!!

Germany seems to be taking on Russia's repressive anti-gay laws in the selection of their rainbow coloured Olympic uniforms.






This protest is aimed at Russia's recent law banning "propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations". The anti-gay law has been used to justify crackdowns on gay rights groups and gay pride parades, and has been seen as a contributing factor to anti-gay violence in Russia. It has also sparked concerns that Russian authorities could arrest gay athletes and visitors, and prompted moves to boycott the Olympics and, according to one petition, relocate them to Vancouver at the last minute.

Congratulations to Germany! Where is the USA and Canada on this issue? Yes, I wrote to my member of Parliament (Conservative), Canada's Sports Minister (Conservative) and our Prime Minister (Conservative). Why is it I do not think much will change?

A Heart Warming Story

While researching this item, I came across this story. A woman has disowned her son and kicked him out of the house after he "Came Out" as being Gay. The boy's grandfather immediately stepped up to the plate and wrote this letter to his daughter:



In this incredible letter, a grandfather passionately addresses his daughter's decision to kick her gay son out of the house after he decided to come out of the closet. Though we don't have the full details surrounding the incident, the grandfather tells his daughter that "kicking Chad out of your home simply because he told you he was gay is the real 'abomination' here. A parent disowning her child is what goes 'against nature.'"
In wake of his daughter's apparent disavowal of her gay son, this grandfather seems to be stepping up to the plate when it comes to his care and well-being: "He was born this way and didn't choose it more than he being left-handed. You, however, have made a choice of being hurtful, narrow-minded and backward. So while we are in the business of disowning children, I think I'll take this moment to say goodbye to you. I now have a fabulous grandson to raise..."

-Huffington Post

7 comments:

  1. Merkel is right. A boycott would be counterproductive and deprive the participants. By making a statement like the German team it will bring the same attention on Russia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was angry and waffling back and forth on the boycott for a while but I have decided the same as you, that a boycott is not the way to go. I certainly support any efforts made by teams like Germany or by individual athletes.

      Delete
  2. Well I am boycotting their Vodka, that one bottle a year will really hurt them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have developed a bit of a taste for Polish vodka. ;)

      Delete
    2. I have developed a bit of a taste for Polish vodka. ;)

      Delete
  3. I came across the story about the gay kid being kicked out by his mom too. Like you I think the grandfather is pretty cool. I don't know if being gay is as tough as it used to be but growing up is always tough. Hopefully the mom will wake up to what an ass she is making of herself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I hadn't read about the mother-son-grandfather situation, but I'm sad for the mother, and of course her son. Actually, I'm also a smidgen sorry that the grandfather decided to disown his daughter; I don't think that's the right reaction either. I think only love can conquer hate. But I'm happy he's supporting his grandson.

    As for the German response to Russia's new yet medieval law, it's terrific! I don't think boycotting Olympics is ever a good idea, because the the Olympics isn't supposed to be about politics, and more importantly, any boycott mostly hurts young athletes who have made MASSIVE sacrifices to make the Olympic team, and it often is really a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. At that level, even being four years older can be a permanent setback, depriving athletes of medals they otherwise would have won.

    Kim G
    Boston, MA
    Where we don't buy much of anything from Russia, though our continued use of petroleum probably helps them anyway.

    ReplyDelete