Sunday, March 20, 2011

Charleston, SC

Now THIS is what I have been waiting for! This is what I always envisioned when I thought of the deep South. I know I saw Savannah at it’s worst and perhaps someday I will be able to give it another chance but for now, Charleston is at the top of my list.

The Oak Plantation RV Park is beautiful and is located about fifteen minutes from downtown Charleston. We drove down today, setting the GPS for Rainbow Row, a street of restored houses all painted in pastel colors. We pulled up and found an empty free parking space. We were within walking distance of pretty much everything we wanted to see. We checked out the houses on the street and walked some of the surrounding blocks before heading into the heart of the historical section of town.

We walked back along Bay Street to Broad and then to King. Most shops were closed on Sunday but enough were open to give Norma her shopping fix. We found a place for lunch and continued on to the visitors center. From there we caught the free streetcar back to where we started. It felt like we had walked several miles! I was snapping photos all the way. Stately mansions, beautiful gardens, friendly people! Charleston is a very photogenic city!

b1b2b6b7b8b9b3b4b5

1 comment:

  1. Croft - We are enjoying the tour - thanks for a great effort!

    ReplyDelete