Sunday, August 20, 2017

Where I Worked Map

I had a lot of fun working (35 years total) for Canadian Telephones and Supplies (a BC Tel subsidiary) and later for BC Tel. As you can see on the map, I got around, even to Alberta where I was on loan to Alberta Government Telephones for a few months. I had some great jobs and never really had a boss as I never worked in one spot for long. My periodic evaluations called me a "Self Starter" and they just sort of let me figure out what needed to be done and let me do it. I had it made. They paid me to have fun and to work with some really great people.

I did everything from the boring (installing an Ericsson Crossbar switch in Edmonton) to hanging off the side of a helicopter refueling a VHF radio site on the BC coast to digging a SnoCat out of the side of a mountain in the middle of the night (more than once). Probably the most interesting was watching the first data (ones and zeros) being received after working to install the first Earth Station on Vancouver Island for Telsat Canada back in the early 70's. The most satisfying was the work I did as a representative for the Telecommunications Workers Union and as an instructor for the Canadian Labour Congress giving workers the tools to make things better for their members. Oh yes, and working full time on many elections for the New Democratic Party.

Here is the map. Some places were too small to find on the map but this gives you an idea.


14 comments:

  1. You sure have seen a lot of the left coast over the years, beautiful country for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Croft, I don't know much about Canada, so please excuse me if I ask a not-so-smart question. On the map, most of the locations you've worked seem to be grouped along the coast (to include even some locations on the out islands). Does the grouping along the coast generally follow Canadian highways and roads to Alaska from Washington state?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. And if so, how close to Alaska did you get? Haven't been to Alaska either.

      Delete
    2. There are no north-south highways on or near the coast. Vancouver Island has a north-south highway but few east-west highways. All of the access is on secondary roads and four wheel drive trucks if we are lucky but mostly by small float plane and helicopter. The islands of course are all accessed by air because our sites are never right on the coast where a boat could drop us off. Thousands of hours of seaplane helicopter time!

      Delete
    3. Stewart, BC is right on the Alaska border and we actually provided telephone service to Hyder, Alaska, across the border. I spent lots of time there. Very spectacular scenery!

      Delete
    4. Beach and I just have to get up that way; sounds beautiful and are missing out!

      Delete
  3. Croft.
    Seems we have similar backgrounds. I worked for the Bell System and later for Verizon as a Central Office repairman, a lineman, and Splice Service Tech for 35 years. Great Time !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very similar! Where do you live? Retired?

      Delete
    2. We are retired, spending our winters in Florida and our summers here in Belgrade,Maine.When I first retired,I spent five summers working as the telephone tech for Grand Teton Lodge Co. in Wyoming....another fun time.

      Delete
    3. I retired the day before my 55th birthday and never wanted to work again! That was in 2000.

      Delete
    4. I also retired at 55 or should I say semiretired as I still enjoy volunteering occasionally.....keeps me going 72 now.

      Delete
  4. Where did you build your Map? I think mine would have even more flags on it, as I spent a lot of time in Saskatchewan and the Kootenays as well as the Left Coast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Google Maps. You lose a lot of detail when it converts to a size Blogger will accept.

      Delete
  5. When you consider that my map would extend to Eastern Saskatchewan, I think all detail would be lost.

    ReplyDelete