Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Oh Boy!

We got about half way to Corpus Christi on Highway 77 when I felt a bit of a lurch and a noise from the front end of the motorhome. I slowed down and all seemed well. Norma thought we hit some metal on the road but I saw nothing. Then we stopped for lunch and the brakes made a loud squealing / grinding noise. Not completely unusual, it could have been caused by dust in the brakes. Then came a low level steady noise from underneath, sort of like running water. I made several test stops where all was normal and opened the hood and climbed underneath but all seemed well. All gauges were normal (temp, charging etc). We got close to the RV park when all of a sudden the cab filled with smoke and a strong burning rubber smell! I pulled over and a Texas Highway Patrol pulled in behind me with lights flashing. Both of us checked everything we could think of but could not find anything. It seemed OK idling with the problem appearing when we were moving. The noise seems to go up and down with the speed of the vehicle and not with the RPM of the engine.

As it was unsafe to remain on the narrow shoulder we all agreed for me to continue the four or five miles to the RV park slowly with the hazard lights flashing where we would call a Ford dealer. About half way there the smoke started again and this time I could also see it in the mirror behind me. We stopped again to let it cool down and then continued to the RV Park. We got an appointment tomorrow morning at the nearest Ford truck dealership and we are getting the rig towed there. It is about twenty miles and I have AAA RV Plus that gives me 100 miles of  free towing.

In the meantime we are trying to relax for the night. I set up the Starchoice, I guess we should try to act as normal as possible. It is actually quite nice here right on Corpus Christi Bay.


21 comments:

  1. Hope it's nothing serious. If I mention you should have bought a Dodge can I still be your friend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first MH was a Dodge. A '78 Dodge. Didn't like it all that much.

      Delete
  2. I hope you didn't burn up your brakes or something.

    Waiting anxiously to see how it all turns out.

    Happy Trails, Penny, TX

    ReplyDelete
  3. What. A. Drag. Feeling for you guys - not fun. Why can't things just go along without these kinds of troubles? It sure does get in the way of having a good time - doesn't it!? Fingers crossed there is a fast and painless answer tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes. Hope it's nothing too serious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh I hope it's nothing too serious, fingers and toes crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey. Let me know whatever I can do. U know I am not far away. Phone is: 330 sicks 3 jaun 291oh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike, I am sure we will make out OK. We will let everyone know when we find out what the problem is.

      Delete
  7. Yep, same here. We should be getting our SUV back tomorrow afternoon. All of us are here to help out. Keep us posted via blog, email or cellphone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay tuned! I am sure this problem will have a good ending as well.

      Delete
  8. Good thing you've got that great Canadian free Auto Insurance.

    Just kidding Croft. I really hope it's super minor and you're on your way in a jiffy. Since it still moves it might be something simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it annoying when I cannot figure out what the problem is. But yes, it just might be covered by insurance if it was caused by whatever we ran over. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
    2. I'm wondering if there's something wedged in between a tire and something that doesn't move and that's what the sound was and now the smoke is from.

      Delete
    3. Or something in the disc brake... I felt both brake rotors from underneath and both were somewhat hot but not really hot. There was no sign of tire damage. My mind keeps going to the brakes but the smoke does not add up.

      Delete
  9. Sheesh! Hope you get a quick and inexpensive resolution.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck, Croft. Hope it's something simple and inexpensive to fix.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just like a boat, it's always something, heavy mystery time. Good luck with that and my fingers are crossed as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It could be anything. I'm thinking you did run over something that did the damage, whatever that might be. Keep us posted and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know this is out in left field but maybe because you would not feed the deer at home...just saying cheers les

    ReplyDelete
  14. Possibly transmission slipping and heating up???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm... It did not feel like that but you never know.

      Delete