Wednesday, November 11, 2009

San Carlos

We left Edgar and Anna at about 10 this morning and headed for Hermisillo. Hermisillo is the capital of the State of Sonora so it is a very busy city. There is a complicated bypass that passes to the east of the city. It is described very well in the Church's book and is also well marked with signs. We stopped at the first toll booth where we were charged $96 pesos as a four axle vehicle, as I believe was correct. At the second toll booth we were charged $96 pesos for a truck and an additional $60 pesos for the car as if it were following behind. This, I believe, is an overcharge but my Spanish is not good enough to complain and more important, to understand the response to my complaint.

On the positive side, regular gas is $7.70 pesos a liter which translates to $0.61 Canadian. I am not sure what the cost of gas is in Canada right now but it is much cheaper here. As long as they keep working on the highways, I do not mind paying tolls to keep the highways in good shape.

Here is a out the windshield shot of Mex 15 and the approach to a toll booth:

2 comments: