Thursday, July 10, 2014

Eagle Watch

I finally found what is drawing the eagles to the beach in front of the house. There was a lot of activity again today so I walked down to the beach once more. As I got close to the road that separates us from the beach I could see where the eagles and a couple of vultures were feeding. I crossed the road and got as close as I thought they would tolerate without becoming nervous and found a log to sit on and watch. They were busy feeding and therefore more tolerant of company than normal.

There were some bloody ribs sticking up from the rocks and then I saw a hoof. A deer! That was the daily special! It was a small deer, maybe one of the babies that has been around and it may have been hit by a car and catapulted onto the beach or perhaps was injured and made its own way to the beach before succumbing to its injuries. In any case its' unfortunate death supplied food for the avian predators and the cycle of life continues.

I was zoomed in on the vultures feeding when suddenly this big guy landed. I managed to get him just as he touched down. I would liked to have had the time to zoom out just a little but I am happy with this shot. I think it just might get framed and will hang on my study wall.


Here comes his/her mate in for a share. The blood on his/her beak gives away the fact that he/she has been here before and is back for seconds.


These birds are larger than they look. An adult can easily have a wingspan of seven feet and they live for 25 to 40 years. They normally mate for life unless one of the pair dies, in which case the survivor will seek out a new mate. The head feathers do not turn white until their fourth year. They are very impressive birds.

13 comments:

  1. Glad you're having fun with the new camera! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome pictures, thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George. I may have been an eagle in a previous life ;).

      Delete
  3. Great photos of the Eagle, Croft. They are definitely frame-worthy.

    I trust you took these with your nifty new Panasonic Lumix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure did, Rick! I can't say how impressed I am with this camera! It was definitely worth the hundred dollars os so more than the Canon I was considering.

      Delete
  4. Fabulous shots Croft. I'm going to have to look up the dimension and weight differences between the two cameras.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I held them both in my hand at London Drugs and the Panasonic was a little heavier. The item that sold me was the electronic viewfinder. It really makes a difference in bright sunlight.

      Delete
  5. Great work with the new Lumix camera. I never tire of eagles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The photos are beautiful -- I feel as if I were there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emily. We spent part of our winter in your home State of Florida. We enjoyed it as well.

      Delete
  7. Cool. Looks like the camera is working out.

    ReplyDelete