Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Last Minute House Repairs!

Once again disaster strikes just before we leave! I finally called the furnace repair guy to deal with the lack of heat in the back bedroom. We first noticed it after the duct cleaners did their thing last year. It was not that noticeable as we seldom have the bedroom vent open, preferring a cool bedroom. The duct cleaners put their camera into the duct and said there was a blockage that looked like a large wasp nest or a rock. This made no sense but we do not use heat in the bedroom anyway, we ignored it.

Last week I thought we should get it dealt with for the house sitter who might like some heat. I called the furnace guy and arranged a visit on Thursday (tomorrow). Yesterday I decided to open up the accesses to the crawl space and when I took the first hatch off I was met with a blast of hot air out of the unheated crawl space! The duct must be pulled apart somewhere and the 'rock' or 'wasp nest' the cleaners saw with their camera was actually the ground!

We have been pumping hot air into the crawl space for a year! No wonder my gas cost went up!

7 comments:

  1. When it rains, it pours! Hope you get it worked out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you've left it warm and cozy for the various varmints that live in the neighbourhood. Good luck with the fix, it's time to leave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is like a sauna down there. I have noticed for a while that our cold water tap was a lot warmer than I remembered. I guess this explains it!

      Delete
  3. That was some discovery. Getting it fixed before you leave will likely give you peace of mind. Your house sitter will likely appreciate the heat too. Good luck with the fix up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am curious as to what caused the problem. I suspect the duct cleaners but they would never admit to it.

      Delete
  4. Oh well, at least your pipes didn't freeze!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it's just heat venting pipes it shouldn't be an expensive fix at least I hope not. Hope they find a quick and easy solution today.

    ReplyDelete