Saturday, May 30, 2015

Norma!

Norma! Why is there a dump truck backing up the driveway?


Well, you know how I buy about 50 bags of top soil every year? This time I decided to buy a truckload!


Where did you tell him to dump it? OMG! Well, he hasn't found the old abandoned septic tank yet.


There it is. Seven yards of topsoil / peat mix. $345 delivered. Anybody got a shovel?


In Other News:

Remember the plugged drainage problem we had that flooded the patios over the winter? See the mud on the grass where it overflowed. Well, Beau dug down to expose the drain pipe.


Well, there's yer problem! The holes in the drain tile are plugged up.


Solution? Drill more holes, some bigger, and fill ditch back in with large rock instead of gravel. 


Now wait to see what happens.


My secret weapon. A direct path to the drain pipe below the ditch overflow level. I used some leftover downspout material.




11 comments:

  1. Are you going to put some harware cloth (wire mesh) or something over that secret weapon to keep it clear? At least that way whatever plugs it will be up where you can get to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good idea. The big problem is there is a ton of silt coming down the hill with the water. But yes, I have some wire mesh I can roll up and put down the pipe. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Hmm looks like you have your work cut out for you, or is Norma moving that pile of topsoil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norma's Lawn Boy will get through that pile in about 1/10 the time it would take me and he will not have to spend a day in bed (or in the recliner) after doing it. Plus, Norma likes to watch him work. A win - win situation!

      Delete
  3. Invite some kids from the neighborhood to come play in the dirt and charge babysitting fees to the parents! You could make a fortune. I see a pile of dirt or leaves and I still just want to play in it! (yes at my age!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowzer... Norma doesn't do things half way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seven yards is a lot of dirt! We are waiting for Beau to arrive. It is going to rain tomorrow.

      Delete
  5. I can imagine in my mind that conversation about the soil :)

    ReplyDelete