Tuesday, April 24, 2018


Today Was The Day!
Cardioversion - done
A Fib - gone
Heartbeat - normal
The process started at 7:30 AM and took only a few minutes. I am home and feeling great. I can't drive for 24 hours as I am legally impaired but other than that, I am done! 

I had a really good nurse who stayed with me right through the procedure. He answered all my questions. Does this always work? He said stats say no but he personally has never been involved in one that failed. He said Doctor Dhansay is very good. The nurse stuck the electrodes on early as perfect contact is important. He wrote himself a reminder to remove them while I was still "out" as it hurts to remove them. He said I might have two burns (front and back) from the electrodes but there were none so the contact must have been good.

He told me if the first shock does not work they will probably give me one more at a higher voltage. Some doctors will keep going for several shocks but my doctor normally stops after two. They only had to give me one before my heart fell into "normal" rhythm. That was it. The nurse told me that when they shocked me I bounced on the bed and my heart fell into normal rhythm but I was not breathing which is not optimal. The anesthesiologist tipped my head back to open my airway and I quickly started breathing on my own. Everyone except me knew what they were doing! Thankfully!
 I had to lay there with the monitors attached for one hour and then for one more hour under observation. Another cardio technician gave me an ECG and then they let me go. The specialist wants to see me in about two weeks.
He gave me a coffee soon after I woke up and refilled it when I asked. In hindsight I thought that a little strange but maybe they wanted the stimulation.

Anyway, I feel great!


  1. Isn't that how Frankenstein was wired? :^)

  2. Croft, I know it doesn't help, but I'll give it to you straight--your description sends chills down my spine. Thank goodness it worked! It's now time to think nothing but happy thoughts.

    1. Everything worked as it should except the breathing thing but no one panicked and that was quickly rectified. I had a lot of confidence going in but it sure was nice to wake up and watch the monitor beside me showing a normal beating heart.

  3. My father-in-law used to have shock treatment for depression in the old days and it worked for him! Amazing what they can do with electricity. Glad it all worked out.

  4. A successful tune-up! When you have your health you have everything! Great news Croft!

  5. You may be white, but man you got rhythm now!


    Kim G
    Redding, Ca
    Where we've had episodes of AFIB, but no shocking denouement.

  6. Glad it all worked out so well. Live long and prosper!

  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.