Friday, August 7, 2026

My Short Vacation

 I completed my little trip! I was gone for two weeks. I took the SUV, not the motorhome but I had my son build a platform in the back long enough for me to lay on when necessary or convenient. I ended up using it four nights in rest areas and it worked great! I spent two nights in Vernon, BC in a hotel and attended my friend's Celebration of Life. Several of my friends from back in my Union days were there so it was nice catching up with them. There was a lot of smoke from forest fires in the air and it was HOT! 33C or 91F. Not too hot for those used to it but very hot for the rest of us. The Celebration took place in a rented hall and then Val invited us to the house for snacks and a little wine,

The next day I headed towards Alberta to visit my Niece Robin and George for a few days. They have been out to visit me a few times since Norma passed and it was definitely my turn to go there. We spent a lot of time reminiscing and catching up. We had some great dinners at home and I took them out once for dinner and once to a local craft brewery. It was a it of fun but the next time I so, I will probably fly.

On the way home I stopped in Kamloops, BC to visit our old friends Ken and Rusty from Terrace, BC. I spent a couple of nights catching up with them and we also had a nice visit from their daughter Cheryl and her husband, Tim. It was really a great time. 

It was a slow, smokey ride home from there with very slow traffic on the Trans Canada Highway. The ferry deposited me in Nanaima too late to continue home because I don't drive in the dark any more so I parked in a convenient rest area overnight and drive home Wednesday morning, It was so nice to be home to my recliner and Kelly's cat who was not pleased that I had up and left her for so long! It took a couple of days but I think we are friends again! Over the past two weeks I was up earlier and talked far more that I have in several years. It was a different but very welcome experience!.

*** EDIT***  The bills are in and my little voyage cost me about $2,100 total for just under two weeks. Most of this was gas, hotels, meals and ferries. I only spent two nights in hotels, a good thing because hotels that used to be $70 per night are no $200+. Dining out has also increased too much. I really don't know how people of average means can travel these days.

5 comments:

  1. Always nice to see what others are enjoying.
    My condolences about your friend.
    Stay Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a slow pace and giving yourself more time made the trip more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a slow pace and visiting friends and family made for an enjoyablet trip. I did more talking and early rising in two weeks than I have probably done in the past year! LOL You would have enjoyed the lunch at the Blindman Brewery in Lacombe, Alberta.(named after the nearby Blindman River).

      Delete
  3. It sounds like a nicely paced trip, and lovely that you were able to visit with so many along the way. Thanks for mentioning the Trans Canada Highway. My friend Jorge and I had planned a cross-country drive in September - starting in Vancouver and taking 8 days to mosey across to Toronto, where one of his sons and his family live. We nixed it due to the fires, not knowing what we'd run into, or what the air quality would be like. Perhaps we'll revisit next year, after the snow's gone, but for now we've exchanged a cross-country drive in Canada for 3 weeks in Italy. Fair trade, I'd say! Barbara Lane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very smart trade right now! The air was thick with smoke and construction slowed traffic down to 40 - 50 KPH for many miles. It is beautiful country but the present conditions work to spoil it.

      Delete