Friday, November 28, 2008

Crocodiles!

Or maybe alligators. I must confess that I do not know the difference as we had neither when I grew up in Vancouver. I had been patrolling the shore of the Laguna watching for these guys all morning and finally found them. They are two of the three that call the Laguna home and were the smaller of the three. For me, who has never seen a crocodile (or an alligator for that matter) in the wild it was however, very impressive.

The larger one was dozing in some weeds about twenty feet away and the small one was sitting at the water’s edge right in front of me. I took some photos of the larger one and then moved in on the little guy. It posed for me while I got a few shots and he quickly moved into the shallow water where he showed off his imitation of a half submerged log. He soon got bored with me and glided away to where there was no “Gringo” with a camera to frighten away his lunch. Their Big Brother usually cruises along the main channel of the Laguna. He does not frequent this side of the Laguna except perhaps for the odd meal.

Blog 1

Blog 2

Blog 4

Blog 5

Blog 3

3 comments:

  1. Easy way to tell the difference: if the animal has teeth showing when its mouth is closed, it's a croc. Otherwise, it's a gator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh. I can see Teeeeth in that first PIC. 'Ware there Croft....You don't want to be Tussling with those Critters, Eh?

    Great PICs.


    Lew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for noticing that Lew. I was about to check on Raven's advice by crawling up to the critter for a close-up look.

    ReplyDelete