Thursday, September 15, 2016

My Honda Needs A Doctor!

Our old 1989 Accord is sick. This is not unexpected as it had not seen a shop other than oil changes, brakes and muffler, in over 200,000 kilometers (total mileage is 290,000 KM). It starts easily, runs well and uses no oil. That is until a couple of days ago when Norma tried to start it and it just cranked away until the battery was low. I charged it overnight and it started after a long struggle but when I tried it again later, it would not start. I put the charger on it overnight and left it connected and managed to start it but I do not have enough confidence in it to tow it down south where we will have no backup car.

Our house sitter knows a good mechanic so I called him this morning. He said it is probably just suffering from lack of attention and could probably use new plugs, filters and a couple of other things. He is pretty sure he can get it back on the road for not too much money and will tell me if she needs a burial and to look for a replacement.

She goes in tomorrow for a couple of days. Wish her luck, I am sure she has a few years left in her yet!

EDIT: I checked the date I changed the battery and it was 4 1/2 years ago so I went down and bought a new battery to eliminate that problem. I do want to get it running and between new tires and battery I have spent $800 on it since January. I would hate to lose that.

Here she is in 2013 being dropped off by the painter and his able assistant in Cuernavaca, Mexico. $300 US for full paint, dent and rust repair.


4 comments:

  1. Good luck with your Honda probably just a tune up etc. Our 2002 Saturn has 225,000 kms on it and just did that, water pump last year and one brake job, no rust though it has only seen1/2 of a winter here in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it comes to it, since the body has been refurbished, maybe a new engine swap might be a possibility. Far cheaper than new if there a no other major issues. Or unload some of that gold you are hoarding and get a new car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that it is probably just a tune up. Croft, Hondas will run forever, but even they need a tune up more than once every 200,000 kms!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I checked the date I changed the battery and it was 4 1/2 years ago. I went down and bought a new battery to eliminate that problem. I do want to get it running and between new tires and battery I have spent $900 on it since January. I would hate to lose that.

    ReplyDelete