Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Pondering The Future Of The Motorhome

 The motorhome has been off the road for over five years except for a five week trip to BC's Okanagan in late 2019. It has picked up some moss. I have been running the generator every month and have had an electric heater in it to keep it from freezing. It is in as good a shape as could be expected.

However, if I am to put it on the road (or prepare it for sale) I have to do some stuff. It needs an engine and transmission service to start with. The four six volt golf cart batteries probably need replacing and the tires probably need replacing. The generator needs servicing. I am thinking a minimum $5,000 cost for all this even with Brooks' neighbour backyard mechanic (highly qualified) doing the engine and transmission for half the Ford dealer shop rate.

That's a lot and it could easily go up another thousand once the mechanic gets into it. But this all has to be done whether I sell it or keep it. Right now I would not feel good sending it out on a test drive.

What's it worth? Well, this is where it gets interesting. It's a 2005 31 Foot Tioga M-31K-Ford SL (kitchen slide) Class C. NADA in the US values it at $33,900 US "average retail" which equals $42,700 Canadian. Way more than I expected but explainable by the higher than average used vehicle prices overall. People are buying used vehicles because new ones are very hard to get right now. Supply chain problems and electronic chip shortages. And I may be biased but I consider mine to be "better than average".

Do I want to sell it? Sometimes "yes" but most of the time "no". I so enjoyed working on the lighting project this week and when I was in it, I just wanted to "GO"! I still don't know if I want to travel alone and that is the big question. If I sold it I know I would regret it immediately. I was talking to my friend the other day, actually my granddaughters' other grandmother about this and her question was, "Do you need the money?" Great question! No, I don't really "need/want" the money. I have been getting along without it and can continue to do so. So for now, the question is answered, I do not want to sell it. When will I start to use it? Well, that's a question for another day.

2005 FLEETWOOD TIOGA 31W - Good Sam RV Rentals

14 comments:

  1. You've checked off all the boxes and that seems to be the right decision to keep it, so long as you can keep up the maintenance, which sounds like you are. Even if you only take a few outings a year it will earn its keep. Traveling alone may be an issue, but you should be able to adapt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I just have take off by myself and see how it goes, it's the only way I will know. It's more the thought of it that scares me. The maintenance will work out. We always repaired anything the instant it broke, refusing to let things build up on us. It was easy to stay on top of it.

      Delete
  2. Why don't you think of a trip you didn't do as a couple? Maybe a trip to the east coast? Something new would, I think, be a bit easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea Jan. Maybe back to the Dakotas area where my mother was born, although her town later merged with Fargo. Pass through Wyoming and Deadwood on the way. I have not been in that area since the early 50's when my dad built a homemade camper for his '40's Ford pickup and we went there. It would be a fun trip!

      Delete
    2. Sounds like your mother was from West Fargo. I grew up in Fargo.

      Delete
    3. Her town was called Berg or maybe Burg. I am not sure exactly where it was They left when she was very young, probably between 1910 and 1915.

      Delete
  3. I like your comment about regretting it if you sell it. Stick to that. The road always calls us... My Tara has also been in storage these past few years, life just got busy and the things I need to do to her to make her ship shape haven't happened for one reason or another. Croft, you are a friendly personable guy, you may find yourself not alone on the road like you imagine. It's a small world and we can always find people to travel with while actually travelling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This will be fun to follow. Good thing you're doing this. We found out that when you let an rv set for a spell, things start to breakdown. A short trip would be good and you live in a great place to go rving! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris is right. RV's are made to be used and when they sit they deteriorate. I don't want to sound negative, but I would bet money you will find more that will need to be done. Try a couple of weekend trips not to far from home to see what comes up. And do it soon... time is passing quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know Kevin. I put about 2000 KM on it on my trip to the Okanagan in September 2019 but I know it has to be used.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree just do it Croft it is the only way and I know you will meet many like people on your travels, just stay away from tunnels!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Give it a shot Croft or you'll regret it. You're a personable guy and you'll make friends wherever you stop. You just have to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have followed your blog off and on - more off I guess - since I used your idea of making a portable Starchoice dish mount with PVC pipe! We just completed a 3 month caravan through Mexico and plan to return next year on our own (we live in Ontario). I would not hesitate to do it by myself. Those old Ford RVs are tough. We have a similar vintage 2007 Coachmen Concord with 140,000 km and it made the 17,000 km trip without any hint of a mechanical issue. RV components tend to be easy to fix or work around. We ran into several solo travellers in Mexico. So how about getting back to Mexico?

    ReplyDelete