Sunday, May 21, 2017

Solar Panel Install, Part 1

So far, so good.
I decided to get a start on the new solar panel installation today even though I have no brackets to mount the panel to the roof. Tomorrow I will go downtown to buy some aluminum stock to cut and bend into right angle brackets.
I pushed two #10 wires up the conduit I installed in the fridge vent for the other two panels, climbed up to the roof, removed the vent cover and pulled enough wire to reach the spot where I will mount the new panel. The good news is, there is more than enough room to mount the panel without moving one of the older ones. What a relief!
Then I blind drilled a 1/2" hole through the metal bottom of the outside fridge enclosure to pass the wires into the solar controller beside the stairs. I will save that connection till last so I can check everything with the meter before making the final connections. The tough part is over!
Photos tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. You just can't have enough. With all your 12V work lately, it makes me want to add another panel and two more batteries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember Chris, you have an odd panel (higher voltage). You would have to add another identical panel.

      Delete
  2. You are probably aware of this but I'll mention it anyway..
    Be careful to route the wires away from the heating elements of the fridge...
    Upriver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the six #10 wires are in a conduit as far away from the workings of the fridge as possible. But thanks for mentioning it though David, it is one of those things that could get missed.

      Delete