Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Good Cop

We got a little lost on our way to the flamingos today. The road took us through the small town of Hanucma. A sign pointing to Celestun directed us down a street but there was no sign telling us where to turn off it. The road eventually turned to dirt and ended. I made a u-turn and headed back to find the turn. Just about the same time as I realized it was a one-way street and I was going the wrong way, a Trafico on his motorcycle appeared coming towards me. He motioned for me to stop and told me I was going the wrong way. I used my best Spanish to explain we were going to Celestun and were lost. He told me to turn around and follow him. He lead us all the way through the town onto the highway to Celestun and motioned for us to stop. I thought, “Well, here it comes, the bite”. Instead, he pointed down the highway and told us to be on our way. That was it, no ticket and no bribe. Just a big smile and a handshake. Very Mexican. That make two positive experiences with Traficos out of three.

I was expecting this mistake to cost me a little money. There was no doubt that I was doing something wrong. Yes, the route was poorly marked and there no “one way” signs but I did eventually notice that what signs there were were facing away from me. Like most other Mexicans, this cop was very friendly and helpful. I am changing my attitude about Traficos.

No comments:

Post a Comment