Thursday, January 22, 2009

Becan Ruins

We got up at 8:00 this morning and I walked the kilometre or so to the Becan Ruins (550 BC to 1000 AD). They are very impressive but much less developed than were the Palenque Ruins. I had the entire city of ruins to myself and was very impressed. Just to sit back and feel the presence of these ancients is a very humbling experience.

I am by no means an expert on pyramids but these were the first rounded corners I have ever seen. Some of the original red paint was visible as well. It must have been a very imposing sight to see these buildings in their original coat of blood-red paint!

becan 1

becan 2

becan 3

Original red paint unearthed

becan 4

becan 5

You can see rounded corners here

becan 6

becan 7

Detail of rounded corners

becan 8

becan 9

Original artwork (behind faded Plexiglas)

becan 11

becan 12

becan 14

No comments:

Post a Comment