Friday, January 23, 2009

My Photos

A couple of generous folks have left kind statements either as comments to my posts or as Guestbook entries about how they liked my photos. All the photos on the Blog were taken with a Nikon D70S SLR Digital camera. It has been dropped, lost, found and abused all across Mexico twice now and is still functioning perfectly after over 10,000 photos. The lens that came with it, a 28 - 70 "Kit" Nikon Digital Zoom, has been put aside and replaced with my old dependable Tamron 28 - 70 that I used with my old film Nikons. The reason for this is the Nikon lens acts like a vacuum cleaner when it is zoomed out in a dusty environment (read "Mexico"), sucking bits of dust into the lens. I sent it to Nikon for cleaning and they sent back an estimate that was higher than the cost of replacing the lens. Because of the complicated mathematics involved when figuring focal length as a function of sensor size, this non-digital 28 - 70 becomes effectively a 42 - 105 when used with the D70S.

I also had a Tokina 70 - 210 zoom (105 - 315 when used with the D70S) that I used the odd time. Unfortunately I lost this lens in Palenque when I set it down to put the shorter zoom back on the camera. I am not too upset as these "non-digital" lenses are very cheap on eBay these days and will be replaced ASAP.

Photos get a quick crop (if necessary), levels correction and sharpening in Photoshop before they are published.

Thanks for the compliments and please continue enjoying the sights of Mexico with me.

2 comments:

  1. I was saying the exact same thing to my wife today, your pics show a contrast ratio which is above most cameras, as an example, your becan pictures clearly indicates the color in which the mask were painted, as most other people's photos do not, it seems to penetrate the stone carving to diplay the relief in greater details, that being said, the fellow behing the lens has something to do with it.
    Your blog entries picked my curiousity and read all your past blogs submission, very good efforts on your parts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anonymous, I run all my photos through a simple Photoshop process of "Levels" and "sharpen" and then publish them. The few I print at home get a bunch more work that I am not sure does much.....

    ReplyDelete