Thursday, January 22, 2009

Howler Monkeys

I was awakened this morning by a strange noise at around 5:30 AM. At first thought it was heavy traffic passing on the adjoining road and thought little of it. After it kept up for a while I realized it could not be traffic so I sat up to listen. It was the Howler Monkeys that live near the ruins up the road! If I listened carefully I could make out the calls of individual monkeys but generally they all blended in together to sound almost like surf rolling along a beach. It is a very unusual sound.

Tonight at around 9:30 PM I heard them again through the sound of the singer performing in the restaurant in the park. I walked over to the swimming pool where I hoped the sound might be amplified by the surface of the pool. It seemed to be further off in the distance than this morning but individuals were still discernable. Maybe they will perform again tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment