Saturday, September 7, 2013

Norma's New Dell

Norma's new (reconditioned) computer arrived yesterday. I cleared a spot on her desk and started the lengthy process of setting it up for her. It came with a refreshing lack of bloat in the way of pre-loaded programs. All it had on it was Internet Explorer and Microsoft Security Essentials, both of which I kept. I use MSE on all the computers and have been very happy with it. I used Internet Explorer to download the latest Chrome and that is the one and only time I will ever use Explorer!

I loaded Office 2003 as she has always used Outlook as her email program. After a ton of research I learned how to move her old emails over to the new computer. Some guy in Iran had very good instructions on the Internet. I dislike Outlook but that is what she used when she worked and is used to it. I added MalwareBytes, 7-Zip, Ccleaner, EaseUS Todo Backup (free edition) and Picasa. She then came in and set up her online banking. That will do for now.

I will leave her old computer alone for a while before I format it and install Linux Mint 15 just in case there is something on the old computer I missed.


2 comments:

  1. I have to use a Windows computer sometimes and it never ceases to amaze me how they make every little thing so complicated! With a Mac, you would have had Norma up and running in about fifteen minutes. Unpack the computer, turn it on, connect it to the old one, run Migration assistant, and done. No need to redownload and install software or reset preferences. I don't have the patience to deal with all the Windows nonsense. Norma's lucky to have someone who will jump through all those hoops for her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew! That set up seemed to cut into a few hours of your day. It's all ready for the Mexican travel though! Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete