Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Tearing My Hair Out

I just spent 2 1/2 hours with Microsoft Windows tech support. Much, maybe most, of this time was spent on hold.

I started noticing the popup window telling me there were Windows Updates waiting to be installed. I have seen this in the past so was not concerned. Then I got a notice that my Microsoft Essentials anti virus definitions were out of date.

I tried downloading the updates but the downloads failed. I restarted and same thing. I then tried to update my anti virus and same thing - error messages. I then tried to do a System Restore to go back a few days to when I knew things were running well. I was told that there were no restore points to choose from.

I then started getting a message that I was not running a legal version of Windows. I knew this was wrong because I bought the computer 18 months ago with Windows installed and everything worked till now. I did a bunch of things but could not fix it so I turned to Rick Doyle who gave me a few more suggestions which got me nowhere (but convinced us of the real problem of Windows failing authentication).

I found the number for Windows Support and my 2 1/2 hours started. They determined  that my Windows 7 was in fact, legal. They said I must have had a virus that affected the registry before I got rid of the virus. Bottom line, they want $99 to fix it. For that $99 they will take over my computer and fix the problem. They guarantee success or there will be no charge.

My Asus computer came with a three CD set of rescue discs (actually I had to make them myself) that I think will restore the computer to where it was when I bought it. Windows installed but no programs, I would have to reinstall all of them myself.

Is it worth $99 to not have to set the computer up all over again? I don't know... I will think about it for a while.


12 comments:

  1. About as frustrating as the cell phone companies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clearly less frustrating than the RV repair facility I had to deal with these past five (5) months.

    Best of luck with your decision though!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They said I must have had a virus that affected the registry before I got rid of the virus. Bottom line What a CROCK OF BALONEY! Croft I can help you for free. We have an ACER Netbook here. Those people are so full of BS about the virus you must have had - DO NOT PAY THOSE BANDITS a dime. Send me an email and we will resolve this problem. I have clean installation software we can share and let those creeps go to hell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too, have been getting a pop-up telling me we don't have an authorized version of Microsoft Office installed on our computer. This is funny, because it worked until a few days ago and the computer is almost a year old. I can't even open some attachments to emails. I don't want to spend hours with Microsoft. What do I do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are possibly facing the same as me, Ray, a re-install of Windows. That is what my computer guy just told me. He also suggested I do a scan for hard drive errors and bad sectors which I am doing now. It appears to be finding and attempting to repair more than a few errors. I am hoping I do not have a bad hard drive.

      Delete
  5. Makes you wonder how much conterfeit MS is running around and how many people say that they are installing the original software.

    Makes me want to ask, What is happening with Norma's old desktop? Any news on installing Linux? Juan asked me about it yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still sitting on the desk, Chris. I want to make sure there is nothing on it that I need before formatting it plus, I have been busy lately setting her new one up and dealing with problems on my desktop.

      Delete
  6. I went through this drill. My solution was switching to an iMac. It's not perfect, but it works.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once you've had a Mac, you still use Windows for all those old programs you don't want to pay for again.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete