Saturday, March 28, 2009

Tropico de Cancer

Technically, the Tropic of Cancer is the northernmost point that the sun can appear directly overhead at noon on the June Solstice. It is currently at Latitude 23° 26′ 22″ north. This position is not fixed, but varies in a complex manner over time, hence the difference between the official present position I gave and the Latitude given on the sign, which was its approximate position in 1975 when the monument was erected.

To me, it is less technical and more emotional. When I cross this line it tells me I am no longer in the Tropics and am heading home. It always gives me a twinge of sadness but happiness at the same time, sadness that my "endless summer" is nearing a temporary end while at the same time happiness that I am fortunate enough to be able to travel as I do. It is a complex feeling.

blog

If you sight through the slot in the monument as the camera is doing, you are looking along the Tropic of Cancer (at least where it was in 1975). As I took the photo, one foot was still in the Tropics. That leg felt warmer.

blog1

2 comments:

  1. You've got it bad man if your one leg felt warmer! LOL What are your plans? Back to Canada for six months I suppose; do you rv in Canada as well?

    I've enjoyed your travels though I spent a lot of time looking up places on the map. It's not like you just stayed in the big cities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Canada for six months with some RVing and house maintenance.

    I'm glad you are enjoying our travels Don. Yes, we try to avoid the big cities. Big cities are big cities and are the same all over the world. Good places to stay out of! A good map is a necessity although some places we have been, I can't even find on the map!

    ReplyDelete