Thursday, March 31, 2016

Texas Has Speed Traps

So here I was doing 66 (cruise control) in a 70 or 75 zone near Catarina, TX when I saw a huge "Slow Down For Corner" sign a block or so ahead. I took my foot off the gas to slow down for the 90 degree corner and suddenly there were flashing lights in my mirror. The young cop pulled me over to tell me I was still doing 61 when I passed the 45 speed limit sign he was hiding behind! I have to wait 10 days and mail in a money order for $238.10 US. Ouch! If I was doing 15 MPH over the limit it would have been less. You would think he could have at least given me that break!

The system is designed to make it difficult or impossible for travelers / tourists to defend themselves. First they make you wait ten days before they will even acknowledge the ticket and secondly, any dispute must be made in person. So to argue it I would have to either stay here close to Dimmit County for ten days or return in ten days to fight the $238 fine. It is simply not worth it to me and they know that. It would cost much more than that to stay or return (plus all the inconvenience).


7 comments:

  1. As I stated on FB, Catarina, Carrizo (Chorizo) Springs, Crystal City, La Pryor, Big Wells, and Cotulla are just a few of the most corrupt Texas cities. Big Wells still takes cash from Mexicans who are stopped and threatened. Fact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can certainly believe that after seeing first hand a totally bogus traffic stop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back to the USA hombre! Been there with those Texas hiway robbers. I know people in Mexico that refuse to drive through Texas. Here in Mexico slip them 200 pesos (12 bucks usd) and you are on your way - instant justice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad about the ticket.
    But you were speeding and you did get caught, what can I say?

    ReplyDelete
  5. and what did I tell you about something always happening to you.....sorry for the fine at least no mechanical damage safe and SLOW travels cheers les

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fits the definition of a speed trap.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Got tagged by one of those myself way back when. The business of law enforcement. ...with an emphasis on business.

    ReplyDelete