Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Microwave Part Dos

I took the motorhome in to a small RV repair place to have the microwave looked at. He pulled off what he could and we could see the broken pieces of the latch laying on the bottom inside of the case. There did nor seem to be any way to get at it easily and paying someone $85 per hour to work on it does not compute. My first inclination was to simply replace it with a regular microwave but after I ran this past Norma she informed me this was not a good plan. She had a convection oven and wanted it replaced with a convection oven. Period.

I passed the problem off to her after getting the name of an Apollo dealer in the States. She called them, got a number for Apollo and talked to them. She ended up ordering a direct replacement for the broken oven and it will be shipped directly to the dealer in Okanagan Falls, BC where the motorhome is now parked. With any luck the oven will arrive and will be installed by the time we get back to it in 10 or 12 days.

On Edit: It has been asked what the new microwave cost. It was a pleasant surprise when I found out. I looked for a suitable item in the stores and counter top convection microwaves are quite expensive in Canada. There was one for $699 that was nice but a little too large for where it had to go. The cost of the new one from Apollo, which includes the light and exhaust fan was $399 USA plus $109 shipping. I could have installed it myself but it is being shipped to the repair place in OK Falls and they will put it in for me. The labour will be minimal.

6 comments:

  1. I hate to ask, but as it's part of the story...what did the new one cost...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pleasant surprise Kevin. See edit to story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first glance, cheaper than I thought it would be. But then $399 US becomes about $465 CAN, plus the shipping becomes $574 CAN, so maybe that is about what I thought!

    I got a summer job working in the parts department of an RV dealership. Average markup on Canadian parts is about 60%, so there is lots of haggling room if you can negotiate with the supplier. Just out of curiosity, I should check and see our cost of one of those microwaves...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is an Apollo AAC24OTRB. Let me know. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't even find a supplier for the Apollo unit. Our own supplier will only sell us Whirlpool brand specifically for an RV, and their top line microwave convection oven sells for $1500 CAN! Our cost is over $900! So I think you did okay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is very depressing that anything specified for an RV automatically costs twice as much as the "regular" use item. Thanks for checking Kevin.

    ReplyDelete