Thursday, October 1, 2009

Overheard

Rant Alert!

Overheard in Republican Think Tank: (now there is an oxymoron)

"When we poll Americans and ask: "Are you in favor of an affordable, universal Health Care System covering all Americans?", we get an 85% positive response. This is bad! However, if we tweak the question slightly and ask, "Are you in favor of an affordable, universal Health Care System covering all Americans even if it means crushing puppies with a steamroller?", we get a 50.02% negative response from the ones who do not hang up on us. This is better and is how we have to get the question asked!"

The other problem with the wording of questions on the ballot is the complete inability for voters to figure out how to vote to indicate their wishes. The Same Sex Marriage question was one of these. I am not stupid in political matters nor am I illiterate but after having read the actual question placed on the ballot I was unable to determine if a "yes" or a "no" vote indicated my wish to allow all adults the right to marry irregardless of race, colour or sex. I found myself looking to see who was sponsoring the pro and con ads on TV to try to figure out if I was for or against the Propositions. There auta be a law! It is a good thing I don't have a vote, I would need a cheat sheet! Things are still a little simpler here in Canada. People who love each other can still get married and our ballots are worded so they can be understood .

End of Rant

3 comments:

  1. Hey Croft,

    Good post!

    I think too, often the "wrong guy" gets into office and his promises on the campaign trail end up empty and fruitless or sits on the "table" until next session.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and our ballots are worded so they can be understood .

    Absolutely not true, Croft.

    And my example goes back to the 1995 Quebec referendum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I concede that point Kevin. That was a perfect example of political double-speak here in Canada.

    ReplyDelete