Friday, March 11, 2011

Sloppy Joe's Bar, Birthplace Of A Novel

This is the original Sloppy Joe's Bar on Key West’s Greene Street where Ernest Hemingway spent much of his time. It gave up it's name in 1937 and is now called Capt. Tony's after a later owner but it was here where Papa hung with his friends and other patrons while he developed the characters for his book, "To Have And To Have Not".


There is a new Sloppy Joe’s on Duval but Papa never set foot in that joint.  Too noisy to think!

At bottom is is a 22 ounce rum punch that I had to purchase for research purposes while I developed this post. Papa himself favoured Daiquiris which are forbidden to me because they have grapefruit juice so I substituted the rum punch.                 


 







4 comments:

  1. Never been to the Keys so I'm living vicariously through you right now. And I just finished reading Jimmy Buffett's book "A Pirate Looks at 50" - a non-fiction book I peruse at least twice a year.
    Buffett spent a lot of his life in the Keys and I really love his outlook on life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you guys had fun in Key West today. I hope you left some booze for us we we get there next week.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. You would love it down here Kelsi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure I left a snort or two for you Paul!

    ReplyDelete