Sunday, December 25, 2011

A Mexican "The Night Before Christmas"

From My Friend Les' Blog:


Twas the night before Christmas, and all through la casa,
Not a creature was stirring, I wondered, que pasa?
I was hanging the stockings with mucho cuidado,
In hopes that old Santa would feel obligado,
To bring all the children, both buenos y malos,
A nice batch of dulces and other regalos.
My brothers and I went to sleep in our camas,
Some in long underwear, and some in piyamas.
When out in the yard there arose such a grito,
That I jumped to my feet like a frightened cabrito.
I ran to the window and looked afuera.
And who in the world do you think quien era?
St. Nick in a sleigh and a big sombrero
Came dashing along like a little bombero.
And pulling his sleigh instead of venados,
Were eight little burros, approaching volados.
I watched as they came, and this fat little hombre
Was shouting and whistling, and calling by nombre:
Ay Pancho, ay Pepe, ay Cuca, ay Beto!
Ay Chata, ay Chopo, Maruca y Nieto!
Then standing erect, with his hands on his pecho,
He flew to the top of our very own techo.
With his round little belly like a bowl of jalea,
He struggled to squeeze down our old chimenea.
Then huffing and puffing, a little cansado,
He picked up a bag that looked muy pesado.
He filled all the stockings with lovely regalos.
Then chuckling aloud, seeming very contento,
He turned like a flash and was gone like the viento.
And I heard him exclaim, and this is verdad:
Merry Christmas a todos ... feliz navidad!

3 comments:

  1. I've never heard that before! That is really too cool. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Croft....did you take that from me last winter...great to see it again//

    http://www.contessajewall.com/2010/12/24/twas-the-night-before-christmas-mexican-style/

    ReplyDelete
  3. No Contessa, I got it from Les. It is really neat!

    ReplyDelete